Suggested Process for Home Owners & Home Seekers:
- Create a profile on HomeShare for Her website- either as a Home Owner or Home Seeker (see Tips for Creating Your Profile)
- Search Home Owner or Home Seeker listings to find a possible match
- Message the Home Seeker or Home Owner to begin the conversation about homesharing
- Arrange a phone call to ask further questions of each other (see questionnaires for discussion ideas)
- Reference checks (see Questions to Ask Referees)
- Arrange an initial meeting at a neutral place such as a cafe or the library, to start the discussion about possibly homesharing
- If compatible then arrange for the Home Seeker to visit your house for a look around
Things to Discuss
- Finances- rent amount, how often & how it’s paid. Could it be reduced for certain jobs?
- bills / utilities (power, WIFI, gas)- how will these be split &/or paid?
- groceries- how will these be split &/or paid?
- Shared spaces (areas everyone can use and personal spaces)
- Chores / household jobs – how will they be divided?
- Meals – cooking arrangements
- Visitors / guests
- Internet usage
- Normal bedtime/ quiet hours
- Principles for communication (including what we will do if either of us has concerns or feels that it’s not going as well as we hoped!)
- Length of homeshare, trial period and termination
Finalising Your Homeshare
- Agreements and House Rules- following on from previous discussion
- Move in
- Check in after an agreed period of time